5. Age Groups
The BAYS age groups shall be as follows, such that all players on a roster shall be under the specified age on July 31st preceding the start of the season:
U-19, U-18, U-16, U-14, U-12, U-11, U-10 & U-9 years of age
In compliance with US Youth Soccer and Mass. Youth Soccer requirements no exceptions will be approved to permit players older than the specified age to play in any age group except that:
- An age exception may be granted under bylaw 3 (ADA waivers);
- The Competition Committee may grant an age waiver (at the request of a town only) to a child who is grade-appropriate for the age group but is otherwise too old for the age group, so long as:
- the team that the child is playing on will play only in BAYS Division 3 or lower; and
- the age group that the child is playing in is U-14 or below.
For purposes of determining grade-appropriateness, a child who is not age-appropriate must be in Grade 8 or below to play in U-14, Grade 7 or below to play in U-13, Grade 6 or below to play in U-12, Grade 5 or below to play in U-11, Grade 4 or below to play in U-10, or Grade 3 or below to play in U-9.
- For the fall season only, the Competition Committee may grant an age waiver (at the request of a town only) to a U-15 age Grade 8 player to play on a U-14 Division 1 or 2 team.
- A player having a waiver under section 5A or 5B that is on a team that transfers, during the season, into a division that does not allow age waivers, may remain on the roster and continue with the team for the remainder of the playing season. See section 6D for more details.
- U8 and younger players are not permitted on BAYS teams. An automatic age waiver may be granted for a U8 player in the third grade or higher to play in U9 (or U10 if the club does not offer U9) only.